We are very excited that our blog has been nominated for the Liebster Award – an award given by travel bloggers to fellow travel bloggers as a sign of support within the blogging and travel communities. Our Liebster Award was given to us by Rachel and Elliot from Hilltops and Flipflops, so a big, Texas-sized thank you to them! Be sure to check out their blog for travel tales, tips and tricks. We would also like to thank our friends and family for being so supportive. A special shout out to Russell for all his help with creating our logo, planning trips, helping with wordpress, and photo editing. And last but of course not least, we would like to thank all of our followers – we have really been enjoying connecting with you and we love you all!
So here are the rules for the Liebster award:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog
- Answer questions they ask you
- Display the Liebster award on your blog
- Nominate 10 others and let them know
Our responses to the questions from Rachel and Elliot:
1. What’s your favourite travel quote?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
2. Would you rather be stranded on a remote island or a dense jungle? Why?
We are beach girls, so we have to say a remote island. Plus a jungle probably has snakes and bugs – although Katherine is okay with that!
3. What’s the most important life lesson you’ve learned so far on your travels?
Be open to new things…by following this idea, you might try a new food or learn something new, and isn’t that what travel is about – broadening your horizons.
4. Do you prefer to travel to a hot or cold climate?
Since we both grew up in Texas, we are warm weather girls. We enjoying being at the beach. Also, summer clothes are cuter and much easier to pack. (Anisa does have experience with cold weather from her time living in NYC – check out her winter packing advice.)
5. If you could travel with one person for the rest of your life (who’s not your other half)- dead or alive – who would it be? And why?
We like to travel together. Often it is difficult to find a travel partner – one who is interested in a similar type of vacation, one who is looking to spend a similar amount of money on a vacation, one who likes a similar amount of adventure versus relaxation. The two of us do very well in these areas and so we feel that we are fabulous traveling companions. We both enjoy beaches but also like to find adventure along the way. Also, we both will splurge for a nice meal, but prefer to save money when we can (i.e. there is a viable public transportation option).
6. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done on your travels so far?
We spent time at a nude beach in St. Martin. Spoiler alert – We kept our clothes on!
7. Is there one thing you always do when visiting a new place? (We like to find the highest rooftop bar and drink in the view!)
We like to try the local food. Even though you can get a lot of international foods in the US, especially in big cities like NYC or Houston, there are still some that you can’t and then some that just aren’t as good.
8. When did you start blogging and what have you learned so far?
We started our blog in August of 2015 and it has been a great learning experience! Anisa has really improved her wordpress skills and even learned a little html. Additionally, while Anisa has become an expert in twitter and instagram, Katherine has learned quite a bit about managing a facebook page (sounds easy but it is not). We also learned you can never take too many pictures, who knows when you will need one for the blog or a photo challenge. Finally, we have been pleasantly surprised to learn that other travel bloggers are so supportive!
9. Which countries do you hope to visit within the next year?
We are working on our 2016 Wish List and we have a lot of international travel booked in the next few months. Anisa is going to Spain and England, and Katherine is going to England, Hungary, and Ireland.
10. How do you stay healthy and fit whilst on the road? Since we do like to eat and try different foods, it is key to stay active. We both try to incorporate activity into our vacation, rather than spending time at the gym. It could be hiking, swimming, or just going for a walk on the beach.
We would like to nominate (in no particular order):
- Cassandra from Cassandra Wanders the World
- Jenn from Jetsetter Jenn
- JaMeka from Got the Travel Bug Too
- Nancy and John from Two Travel Fanatics
- Amy from Little Traveler’s Notebook
- Laura from An Aussie Travels
- Eva from Eva Explores
- Amanda from Hot Mama Travel
- Adrienne from Adrienne Away
- Nikki from Traveling Ginger
Our 10 questions are:
- How did you pick the name of your blog?
- Other than your own, what is your favorite travel blog to read?
- What is your next trip?
- If you could live anywhere, where would that be?
- What is your favorite beach and why?
- What is your favorite budget saver?
- What is your favorite beach read?
- What is your favorite travel snack?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What is your favorite post you have written? Link, please!
So thanks again to Rachel and Elliot for the Liebster Award nomination and the thought-provoking questions. We look forward to reading the responses from the bloggers that we nominated.
-Anisa and Katherine