It’s hard to believe 2016 is almost over. While we may not have done so well with completing our 2016 Travel Wish Lists, it’s still been a great year for us with lots of travel. For 2017, these travel quotes have inspired us to do even better, so here are our picks for our 2017 travel wish list.
So I may have not made it to any of the places on my wish list from 2016, but I still had a great year with international trips to Spain, Scotland, Ireland, Hong Kong, and of course England. In 2017, I will be returning to Spain again thanks to the Air Europa flights that I won at a Spanish Wine Tasting. (I still can’t believe I won!) In addition, here are some places that are high up on my 2017 travel wish list.
- Iceland – I know everyone has been talking about Iceland for a while, but I still haven’t gone even though it was on my list last year. I am torn, I would prefer to go in the summer when the weather is nicer, but I would also like to see the northern lights. I have made some planning progress though, I have a pinterest board full of ideas.
- Peak District National Park, England – I was really impressed with my short visit to the Lake District in England this past summer, so one of the next places I would like to visit is the Peak District. Like the Lake District, the area is a National Park and is a great place for hiking. The natural scenery just looks stunning!
- Portugal – I have been to most Western European countries, but have not made it to Portugal just yet and I have heard so many great things. I would like to visit Lisbon and do a day trip to Sintra. Plus, if time allows I would also like to visit Porto, it just seems like such a charming town. Katherine also recommended that I visit some of the beaches in south Portugal like Tavira and Albufeira. I also love Portuguese food, so would be nice to sample some from the source. There is so much to see, it might be best to do a Portugal Road Trip!
I was able to complete one of the destinations on my wish list last year: Hungary. That trip was an adventure! I am so glad I got to go to the factory where my Herend china was made. This year I qualified for a companion pass on Southwest Airlines so I am going to try to make use of that. With that in mind, it may seem that my 2017 travel wish list is less adventurous this year, but I generally can find unique activities while on vacation.
- Denver – I have already checked off eight baseball stadiums on my quest to visit all 30 Major League Baseball Stadiums and I definitely want to go to at least one new baseball park this year. I was in Denver last summer, but the Rockies were not in town. I would love to go back for a weekend and go to a game. The ballpark is in town and it appears that there are some great bars where hopefully I can celebrate a Rockies victory! Plus, a weekend escape from the Texas heat would be lovely.
- Miami – I would love to go back to Miami. South Beach is a fun area and I love looking at the art deco architecture. I generally am not a fan of beaches in the United States, but Miami is an exception.
- Marfa, Texas – I have always wanted to go to Marfa, Texas. The problem is that the town is very inconveniently located – 190 miles east of El Paso. It is quite a trek to fly to El Paso, rent a car, and then drive to Marfa. Marfa is an art hub though and I found a unique hotel where we can stay in a tepee! This will be happening in 2017!
Well, we better get to work on planning! What do you think of our picks? If you have any tips for us, we would love to hear them. What is on your 2017 travel wish list?
-Anisa and Katherine
Last Updated on September 18, 2020
Without a doubt, our two favorite fellow-travelers.
Thanks guys! So what’s on your list for 2017?
Nice to see that the two of you visited Europe the past year. Especially Hungary which is one of our favorites. Hope that you will have a great year of traveling 2017. 🙂
Thanks so much! Yes Hungary is a great place to visit. What’s on your list for 2017? Best wishes to you too.
I’ve always wanted to visit Marfa, too, but have the same hang up. It’s just not close to anything. The most likely way I’ll do it is via some road trip detour. Iceland sounds terrific, and I understand your dilemma since I ask myself the same thing.
Exactly! I hope you get to make it to both places!
I have a travel wish list as long as my arm and I love reading other people’s ideas to give me inspiration and remind me of places I may have forgotten 😀 We visited Iceland in the winter (for Christmas actually) and loved it and have vowed to return during the summer to witness the land without a white blanket of snow so good luck with whichever time of year you decide to go, I know it will be gorgeous! I hope you guys make it to your desired destinations but until then – here’s wishing you a fabulous 2017 and happy travels! #theweeklypostcard
Angie – we both have long lists too but each year narrow it down to our top 3 to make it manageable. Glad to hear you enjoyed Iceland in the winter! Excited to read about what 2017 has in store for you!
My travel wishes are more similar to Katherine’s. I am moving to Florida in February so I definitely want to visit Miami. I am hoping to visit southern state too. I am going to check Marfa, TX, I’ve never heard of this place.
I really want to go to Iceland too but it will probably in 2018!
Happy travels girls 😉
Sounds good. There are plenty of great places in the South. Have you been to New Orleans? Or maybe Austin? Whatever you decide, hope you have a great 2017.
We live in the UK and still haven’t got to the Peak or the Lake District! We would love to explore more of the USA and have some plans for 2018, as already 2017 is getting booked up! Looking forward to hearing all about your travels. #TheWeeklyPostcard
Oh you guys must go to the Lake District! What part of the US will you be visiting? So many options….
I love these destination picks! Iceland is high up on my bucket list as well, and I’ve seen some amazing photos of Marfa so hope to make it there one day too. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Flo! Hope you make it to Iceland and Marfa. Here’s to more travels in 2017!
I’ve wanted to go to Iceland and Portugal also. But Iceland is dropping down on my list because I’ve heard there are too many tourist.
Laryssa – Yes Iceland really has become quite the hotspot. Everyone I talk to about it says it is so amazing, I just feel like I have to go!
I have loved following your adventures this year and look forward to next year as well.
I really do hope you get to Iceland, Anisa – I went in February this year and it was magical. There are usually cheap flights in the winter from New York and a few other locations in the USA through WOW air. Its a bit cheaper to go in the winter as well and you get the opportunity to see the northern lights!
Can’t wait to see what is in store for 2017!
Thanks so much Nicki. Your Iceland pictures definitely inspired me to try and go. Happy New Year to you!
Hope both you and Katherine will have your list fulfilled by the end of 2017. I can hardly wait to read about your experiences. Thank you for your commitment to #TheWeeklyPostcard. It was great working together with you. Happy New Year, Anisa!
Thanks so much for your kind wishes and support Anda! We are so excited to see what 2017 brings!
I hear you on the cold of Iceland Anisia, it looks beautiful but oh so cold.
I think I would prefer Katherine plan of Miami – warm sun drenched beaches – yes please.
Haha yes you can’t go wrong with beaches! Happy 2017 Sally!
What a great and diverse travel wish list! We highly recommend Iceland and Portugal. Maybe, do Iceland during the summer for your first trip. You’ll get to see so much with almost 24 hrs of sunshine. Will need to look up Marfa now. Wishing both of you the very best in 2017 and lots of travels.
Thanks for the tips Mary! Hope you have a great 2017 too!
Iceland, Peak district and Portugal sounds like a great travel resolution for 2017, Anisa! And, hope you do travel to Marfa, Katherine.. I like its unusual name. Wishing you both a great travel year!
Thanks. Wishing you a great travel year too Ahila! Looking forward to seeing where it takes you too.
Thanks Tanja, hope your 2017 is off to a good start.
Ohh, nice! I am going to Portugal in October, let me know if you are around and Miami yes, I would also like to go back!
Gabriela – I was in Portugal in April, you will love it there. I published a few posts and a few more are coming soon.
I came across to this post after reading your post about moving to England. Now that I see that Peak District National Park is on your list and you practically live in England now, have you been there yet so far? 🙂
Hi Marya – Unfortunately I have not made it there yet, as there was a lot to do to prepare for my move. Now that I live in England it will be easier, so I hope to go there next summer.